We are seeking a weekend support worker to join our operations team. The successful candidate will be required to support our guests in a variety of ways and also ensure our nine-bed facility remains a pleasant environment both physically and in atmosphere.
Your personal qualities are more important than formal qualifications, but if you have previously worked with people experiencing homelessness or have expertise in benefits or housing or another relevant sector that would be preferred. The duties will be varied – it is likely that no two days will be the same – so flexibility will be important.
Required skills and attributes
- Confident and able to make sensible decisions in unexpected situations.
- Kind and caring but not a push-over!
- Good level of computer literacy - Microsoft and Google packages
- Able to carry out lone worker duties
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills with a wide range of people
- Able to be non-judgemental and empathetic
- Strong time management skills and self-motivation
- Flexible, can do attitude and happy to be ‘hands on'
- Willing to undertake an enhanced DBS check
The role is for 20 hours per week; Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday – normally 3pm – 8pm but some flexibility is offered and expected. There will be a significant amount of lone working. The role is offered on a permanent basis and salary will depend on skills and experience.
Since opening in March 2018, the Bus Shelter MK has accommodated ninety people who were experiencing street homelessness. Former guests have described being part of The Bus Shelter MK programme as "five star homelessness" and attested to the kindness of staff and volunteers in changing their lives. Why not join us as we provide hope and a route out of homelessness?
The Bus Shelter MK is a much loved Milton Keynes charity providing a temporary home - and much, much more. Supporting up to nine men and women at a time who would otherwise be sleeping on the streets and who need a helping hand to get their lives back on track. Originally based around a converted bus, we have recently moved into a refurbished building in Stantonbury, Milton Keynes with a bespoke Covid secure sleeping pod replacing the bus.
Deadline for applications: Monday, 28 June 2021