Support residents to achieve sustained abstinent recovery from problematic substance use. To facilitate group therapy sessions and hold one-one support sessions. To ensure the residents in SCT’s accommodation are secure and maintain their tenancy as part of the therapeutic practice. Take a lead on decisions relating to the therapeutic programme in absence of Manager.
Location: Spitalfields Crypt Trust, 116 - 118 Shoreditch High Street, London, E1 6JN
You will facilitate and co-facilitate group sessions including relapse prevention, psych-education, and 12-step and process groups. You will also manage a case load of clients from the programme offering regular one-to-one interventions. You will be senior lead worker within the team, responsible for team in manager’s absence. You will be responsible for facilitating Aftercare.
The role will require you to participate in regular team meetings with colleagues within our supported housing team. You will also be required to liaise with external agencies and work creatively to provide the most appropriate treatment plans for clients with complex needs.
- Undertake assessment of people entering the service through various referral sources.
- Take a lead on managing referrals and support arranging assessment.
- Develop, facilitate and review a group work programme which meets the needs our clients. These might include dual diagnosis, trauma, cross addiction, criminal justice issues and various types of substance use.
- Responsible for the overview of the programme, ensuring that all residents are receiving treatment interventions in line with their progress on the programme, e.g. Peer Evaluations, 3 and 6 month reviews, life stories and steps 1-3.
- Provide a holistic package of care to individuals which meets their needs and includes working with colleagues in our other departments to help them with diversionary activities, employment, training and education.
- Work with the Supported Housing team to ensure people are safe, secure and maintain their tenancy - and are ready to move on to independent living.
- Provide support to the counselling team when required.
- Supervision of placement counsellors working at SCT.
- Sole responsibility for facilitation of the Aftercare programme on Thursday evenings.
- Provide a range of one-to-one interventions that might include MI, Person Centred Care, CBT, DBT and Trauma work.
- Manage a case load of individuals with a wide spectrum of needs.
- Assist individuals to understand the effects and benefits of any medication prescribed for them and the importance of complying with their treatment regime. This might include liaison with pharmacists, doctors, and psychiatrists for monitoring purposes.
- Provide psych-education to raise awareness and understanding of substances and their effects.
- Provide onward referral and liaison with wrap around support within SCT to enable our residents to achieve social integration and personal development.
- To coordinate and carry out assessment of new residents and the referral and acceptance process, ensuring that each client has a programme appropriate to their particular needs.
- Conduct joint 3 and 6 month reviews with colleagues from Supported Housing.
- To provide group and individual counselling as required by the project.
- Comply with all monitoring and evaluation information as required.
- Engage and inspire people in recovery.
- To ensure a safe and secure environment for residents, free from alcohol and drugs, and from abusive behaviour and exploitation.
- Ensure that all SCT activities are carried out with due regard to health and safety legislation, SCT policy and good practice.
- Work within the policies and procedures of SCT.
- Implement the Equal Opportunities Policy, understanding its implication in the development of services to clients.
- Attend regular supervision sessions.
- Attend meetings within and on behalf of SCT as appropriate.
- Undertake other tasks consistent with the post or as delegated by your line manager.
- Be an effective role model, with the ability to inspire and motivate others.
- Work collaboratively with Recovery Hub team.
- To ensure you are kept up to date with developments within the sector, thus enhancing your knowledge and practice
- To capture the outcomes of primary programme with all monitoring and evaluation methods that are required by your line manager, in order to capture the impact of SCT work, whilst ensuring the voice of SCT clients are heard.
Qualifications and Experience
Educated to degree level or Diploma Level 4 in counselling. 2 years’ experience of therapeutic work with people in recovery.
- 2 years’ experience of one-to-one counselling.
- A solid working understanding of 12-step facilitation, CBT, MI, Relapse Prevention techniques and other interventions applicable to working with people in recovery.
- Experience of working in addiction recovery treatment services.
- Experience of delivering group work.
- Experience of delivering therapeutic group work within a 12-step and non 12-step context.
- Experience of encouraging individuals to reflect on their behaviour (consequences and risks), recognise the benefits and potential for change and providing support and encouragement to help individuals achieve change positively within an abstinent community.
- When necessary, the ability to challenge people and ensure healthy psycho-social boundaries are observed.
- Assisting individuals to identify their requirements and priorities. Identify explore and assess a range of options for our service users and select and agree on an appropriate course of action.
- Using effective support systems and networks to develop own knowledge and practice.
- Understanding of principles of confidentiality of information.
- The ability to understand and work with other people’s points of view, values and beliefs.
- The ability to change working techniques based on new information or evidence.
- Able to encourage others to express their views, feelings and wishes.
- Uses and follows known procedures to identify and solve problems.
- Confidently contributes to debate within the staff team.
- Promotes SCT by their own standards of conduct.
- Adopts an active role within the team.
- Encourages, values and respects contributions from other team members
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good IT skills.
- Able to work within an organisation that holds Christian ideals of forgiveness, grace and love for the individual at its heart.
- A MSc in Addiction or Counselling studies
- Knowledge of local services and geography.
- Knowledge of homelessness sector, social housing and the benefits system.
- Experience of working in a pluralistic recovery environment.
- Experience of working with homeless people and people with complex needs.
This Job Description should be read in conjunction with SCT’s Mission Statement.