Central London, like many cities across the world, is an exciting and stimulating place. However, for some, it is a place to go when things have gone profoundly wrong and there is nowhere else. When people are on the edge, homeless, isolated and in despair there must be a place to turn. The Connection is there to be with people as they overcome that isolation, recover and move on to a meaningful, fulfilling life. As a Recovery and Opportunities Volunteer you will be supporting our Recovery and Opportunities Team to deliver an outstanding service to people as they recover from homelessness.
Tasks & Activities (The tasks assigned to you will vary on a weekly basis, you won’t be asked to do all of the following in one day!)
- Support the team to promote and run groups, activities and workshops.
- Encourage and motivate people to take part in the activities we offer.
- Help run drop-in and appointment sessions for people looking to get into work.
- Use a skill you have (i.e. reading, cooking, films) to develop a group for the people we support, if you would like to.
- Gather feedback from the people in the service and share this with the team.
- Help people get involved with opportunities in the community, outside our service.
We hope you:
- Complete the volunteering induction prior to your first shift.
- Attend each of your volunteering shifts reliably at the agreed time.
- Maintain boundaries and confidentiality.
- Are polite and respectful whilst volunteering.
- Contribute to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment.
Qualities & Experience:
- An interest in supporting people experiencing homelessness.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Open to learning about our team, service and the way we support people.
- Awareness of the support needs of the people we support.
- A person who is willing to get involved, with a ‘can do’ attitude.
What to Expect:
- We will reimburse reasonable expenses.
- Development opportunities such as training and shadowing.
- A volunteer supervisor to meet with you for regular check-ins.
- We can provide references for volunteers.
- Develop your knowledge of the homelessness sector.
- Gain an understanding of how to support people experiencing homelessness.
- Complete an application form.
- Have a chat about the role.
- Provide documents for your DBS check.
- Take part in our volunteering induction.
Day and Time: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday (AM or PM)
Closing date: 7 July, 2021