West Berkshire Homeless Service provides support to adults who are homeless or at risk of homelessness across two locations, each are tailored to meet the needs of the clients.
Our aim is to provide person-centred support to our clients, empowering them to gain the life skills they require to move on to more independent living.
If you love working with people and are looking for a role where you can make a real difference in the lives of those you support, then this is the role for you!
Full time, 37 hours a week. Working a mix of early (06.45 - 14.45) and late (11.30 - 19.30) shifts, including one in four weekends as well as bank holidays.
£22,082 progressing to £24,536
You will be working as part of a team to provide support to our homeless clients. You will love helping others and enjoy supporting individuals to achieve their goals and to become more independent. Your positive attitude towards your work and others will help to contribute to a great working environment. You will have a calm and personable manner and be able to handle potentially difficult situations.
- You will have your own caseload of clients to manage and will work with them on a one to one basis. You will identify their needs by listening to them and put together a support plan which is equally achievable and realistic for them.
- You will encourage their involvement in personal progression in the form of education, training, employment activity or volunteering.
- You will help them improve their practical skills in areas such as budgeting, shopping, cooking and housework.
- You will work with external partners (such as colleges) to maximise the opportunities available to clients so that they can resettle in the community.
- You will be extremely conscientious in areas such as safeguarding and lone working.
- You will help clients to access the benefits they are entitled to claim
- Help to maintain a welcoming, safe environment, identifying and minimising all potential risks to users of the premises and the organisation and property
- Maintain client records using relevant systems to a good standard
- Work in accordance with the Health and Safety regulations and all policies and procedures
- Attend supervision, appraisal, training and meetings as directed which may be outside your normal working pattern
- Work flexibly across all areas of operation where required and prior notice given
- You will carry out ad hoc housekeeping tasks where required
- Any other reasonable task as requested by a member of staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS/TRAINING
Previous experience in this type of work is not essential but you will have a real passion for wanting to work with homeless people. Your values will match ours, you will be committed to helping others and enjoy the real job satisfaction that this brings.
- Clear verbal and written English
- Good IT and keyboard skills
- Polite, assertive manner, ability to self -motivate
- Passion for working in a client/customer facing role
- Knowledge of the benefits system and tenancy legislation
- Have an interest and genuine concern for homelessness and related issues
- Knowledge of voluntary and statutory agencies
We reserve the right to close our adverts early if a successful candidate is found, so please submit your application as soon as possible.
Application closing date: 28 February 24