Make a real difference!
Do you have the skills, experience and passion to join our team?
The Bus Shelter MK offers a temporary home and person-centric support to people experiencing street homelessness. Originally based on a converted double decker bus (hence the name), our innovative and respected charity now has a nine-bed residential site and two “move-on” properties in Milton Keynes. We do not offer “sticking-plaster” options but deliver sustainable, life changing (sometimes life saving) solutions.
The successful candidate will assist the Operations Manager in wide range of duties to contribute to the safe and efficient operation of The Bus Shelter MK services and facilities, providing a caring and supportive environment for guests and former guests to resolve their homelessness and build their futures. No two days will be the same so flexibility and quick thinking will be essential.
- Ensure the smooth and safe operation of services in line with policies, procedures and ethos
- Carry out on-boarding, induction and de-boarding processes
- Undertake a variety of administrative tasks, including maintenance of electronic and other records
- Ensure Health and Safety and Fire Regulations are adhered to
- Assess risk and respond to medical and other emergencies immediately
- Report unacceptable or worrisome behaviour or conditions (medical, psychological, emotional, or otherwise) observed in guests
- Schedule and oversee maintenance and repairs
- Attend team meetings with staff, volunteers and guests
- Maintain positive relationships with third party organisations which further the aims and objectives of the charity, including attending meetings as requested by the Operations Manager
- Manage the quality of the services provided to The Bus Shelter MK by third parties when on duty
- Meet regularly with guests to discuss their needs and provide appropriate signposting and support in line with agreed plans
- Ensure that guest confidentiality, privacy and dignity are protected
- Monitor process, training and induction documentation to ensure these remain up to date
- Provide verbal and written reports as reasonably required by the Operations Manager and the Board of Trustees
- Seek continuous professional development
Skills and Experience:
Personal qualities will be an important factor in the recruitment process, however, the ideal candidate will have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Assisting clients with benefit claims and appeals
- Housing and homelessness regulations
- Understanding local housing options
- Experience of working in sheltered or supported housing
- Confident in lone working situations
- Competent user of technology and social media
- Resilient and flexible
- Able to drive and with access to their own vehicle
- Able to work through the impacts of their own and others actions
- Non-judgemental but able to challenge where appropriate
- An enhanced DBS check will be required
Hours of work:
37 hours per week, which will regularly include evenings and weekends. Part-time or job share will be considered for a suitable candidate.
The Bus Shelter MK is an equal opportunities employer and applications are welcome from anyone meeting the specified criteria regardless of age, gender, race/ethnicity, religion or belief, disability, sexual orientation or any other personal circumstances.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and we reserve the right to appoint before the advertised closing date of 19 August.