Isle of Wight Homeless Services provides support to adults who are homeless or at risk of homelessness across a number of properties, one of these being a dedicated women’s only service.
Our aim is to provide person-centred support to our clients, empowering them to gain the life skills they require to move on to more independent living. We also work with a range of agencies to maximise the support and opportunities for clients.
32 hours a week, working four shifts a week between 8am and 8pm, including weekends and bank holidays.
Although this can be a challenging role, it’s also very rewarding. This is an exciting role, where no two days will be the same, you will take part in various tasks, such as running client activities and life skills projects. If you love working with people and want to make a difference in the lives of those you support, then please apply.
You will be working as part of a team to provide support to our homeless clients across our Isle of Wight Services. You will love helping others and enjoy supporting individuals to achieve their goals and to become more independent. Your positive attitude towards your work and others will help to contribute to a great working environment. You will have a calm and personable manner and be able to handle potentially difficult situations.
- Work within the support team to maintain a welcoming, safe environment, identifying and minimising potential risks to users of the premises, the organisation and our properties
- Carry out daily welfare checks across our six properties to ensure our clients are as safe and healthy as they can be
- Support the wider team with void turnaround to ensure empty rooms are kept to a minimum, and our property standards are maintained
- Maintain client records using relevant systems to a good standard
- Work in accordance with the Health and Safety regulations and all policies and procedures
- Communicating any concerns and issues with the Homeless Recovery Workers to ensure our clients receive the support they need
- Support with service by covering Homeless Recovery Worker absences
- Attend supervision, appraisal, training and meetings as directed which may be outside your normal working pattern
- Any other reasonable task as requested by a member of staff
- Support clients to maintain their accommodation through payment of relevant charges and collect rent when necessary
- Empower clients to achieve the outcomes they identify as desirable for independent living including involvement in practical tasks within the property such as basic maintenance and room decoration
- Support the team with Health and Safety requirements and general maintenance within the property
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS/TRAINING
Previous experience in this type of work is not essential but you will have a real passion for wanting to work with homeless people. Your values will match ours, you will be committed to helping others and enjoy the real job satisfaction that this brings.
- Clear verbal and written English
- Good IT and keyboard skills
- Polite, assertive manner, ability to self-motivate
- Passion for working in a client/customer facing role
- Knowledge of the benefits system and tenancy legislation
- Have an interest and genuine concern for homelessness and related issues
- Knowledge of voluntary and statutory agencies
- Full drivers’ licence and access to a vehicle is a requirement for this role
We reserve the right to close our adverts early if a successful candidate is found, so please submit your application as soon as possible.
Closing date: 26 February 2024