The role will involve the provision of advice and support to a diverse range of transgender and gender diverse young people ages 16-25 who are homeless, at risk of homelessness or living in a hostile environment. Our focus is in maintaining our ability to provide the highest service possible, giving our young people the opportunities they need to formulate their own life plans and to reach their own goals and objectives. Overall, we aim to support transgender young people into safe accommodation and work or education and prevent them from becoming homeless again in the future. There is a high percentage of gender diverse service users at akt, therefore, this role will require someone who has in-depth knowledge of the lived experiences of transgender young people.
- On a one-to-one basis, assess the needs of gender diverse young people who are homeless, hidden homeless (e.g sofa surfing), vulnerably housed, or in a hostile environment, and to carry out casework on their behalf.
- To Identify young people’s support needs and assist them to develop a support plan which addresses their immediate and ongoing needs.
- Where necessary, source and secure suitable accommodation.
- Provide advocacy in person, in writing, on the telephone for young people when needed with statutory services and voluntary services i.e. local authorities, housing agencies and health services.
- To respond to the needs of gender diverse young people by contributing to developing inclusive services in Manchester.
- To contribute to an outreach programme which promotes the work of akt, as well as the needs of the young people who use its service.
- To contribute to the promotion of sharing good practice with partner agencies and participation in research opportunities with external partners
- To promote safe inclusive spaces and practice
- Employing creative thinking and practices to ensure that gender diverse young people are supported and motivated to achieve their goals.
- To manage a caseload and support opportunities that enable young people to meet their changing needs, through a range of interventions.
- To facilitate the involvement of young people in akt’s youth engagement programme and support the team to deliver activities, group work and peer support sessions when required.
- To maximise the income of service users
- Promote positive outcomes for service users in line with young people’s individual support plans
- Implement akt’s Equal Opportunities policies and to work actively to overcome and tackle discrimination on grounds of race, sex, disability, sexuality, gender, or status.
- Work with partner agencies to promote positive outcomes for young people
- Advocate on behalf of service users when appropriate to ensure their rights are upheld in a variety of circumstances
Close date: 10am on Monday 24th January